Thursday, September 10, 2009

Access to medical care

Just when I think I've nearly seen it all...

I've lost pretty much all the confidence I have in medical doctors. (never had much anyway)
About 2 months ago I went to my monthly appt. with my primary care doc of 5 years. I had to go every month to get a refill on the prescription I take for ADD.  Most docs wouldn't make you do this, but apparently mine has been in a little trouble with the state before, so he requires a monthly visit for controlled substances.  It's inconvenient, but it is even more inconvenient for me to try to do my schoolwork without it.  It helps that I like to drive and I enjoy a scenic roadtrip every now and then, and views on the drive there can be gorgeous on a bright, sunny day.  That day I was working at my internship 1 hour way, so it made for quite a long drive.  It could've been quite a scenic drive,  along the river, but it was a rainy day.
 My doc's office is on the other side of a draw bridge, and that day the bridge was raised for barge traffic.  I wasn't too worried about being late, because from my doc's office windows is a perfect view of the river and bridge.  To make a long story somewhat shorter, I arrived 15 minutes late and was told I would have to re-schedule.  After such a long drive in the rain, and having to wait 25 minutes on a bridge...I got a little upset.  I'm not one to enjoy the spotlight, or to cause a scene, but the tears of anger started welling up.  After pleading my case with the receptionist, I made the next appt. but upon leaving I was so mad and simply said "I won't be back."  The receptionist heard me and said "I'll tell doc."
I left and got back to my house, 20 minutes away. I immediately called my former doc to make an appointment.  He is in the same practice, but at another location.  At that time I was told I was fired from the practice.  Disbelief.  Confusion.  Crazy.  But, I got over it. 
I made an appt. with another local doc.  Everything seemed to be going great at this appt, that is, until he left the exam room to call my doc to verify my medication.  I could hear his conversation in the other room, and it seemed like any other.  Then he comes back in the room.  His posture and expression was changed, and he says, "I don't want you for a patient.  Your a problem and I have enough problems already."  To say I was shocked, is putting it mildly.  I didn't even know what the hell to say!  I just said, "what are you talking about?"  He says, "I talked to doc_ and he says your nothing but trouble.  I don't need any more trouble. You can just leave.  I'll give your money back."  I said, "what makes me trouble..I don't understand."  He says, "you've been late 4 times in a row to your appointments, and I don't need that. "  I just said, "Whatever.  Maybe the trouble is his girls in the office."  His eyes grew wide, but he didn't say anything else, he already said enough and couldn't turn back now!  As I was walking out, I did ask him if he talked to the doc himself.  He said yes.  I find it a little hard to believe, but whatever.  (And no, I wasn't late 4 times)
As I left, I was completely shocked, betrayed, humiliated, and I was determined to raise hell!  I couldn't believe this was happening to me.  My family doc of 5 years, betraying my trust like that was unthinkable, but it happened.  I could see if I was a junkie or hypocondriac, but I'm easy.  I go to an appt. so the doc can walk in, sit down, write a script, and send me on my way, like he has for the last 3 or so years.
I do have my complaints written, I but I have yet to submit them to the state and medical associations.  I've had other things to worry about lately. 
I've been a little leary (to say the least) of finding another doc, but school has started back up and I have realized that I need the meds.  I can see a big difference in my performance, without them.
So I picked a new doc in my ppo.  His name was familiar from a previous ER visit, and he was one of the only ones in the area that was board certified.  I took a chance....

Let me tell you...I have never had an experience like this in my life.  
I pull up at this guys office.  I see a truck parked off in an area by itself.  The doc's, I figured.  Then I see the license plates; JC S LUV.  Above the plate was the back window of the camper shell with a big picture of and american flag and eagle.  All I could do was laugh.  I had a funny feeling about this one...
I walk through the door of this office, rather, I walk through the door into the twilight zone.  The walls of his office are covered in news articles and handwritten comments.  The most extreme christian conservative right wing shit I have ever seen in my entire life!  Obama is killing people!  Drugs, Alcohol, and Smoking is evil!  Pictures of fetus's and embryo's.  The man makes his own collage's of news clippings, adds his thoughts, pastes it on poster board and covers the walls.  In the 20 minutes I sat there, I realized this man had to have a 20 year collection going on. 
The newest was on display next to the counter.  About Obama and health care...He's killing people don't you know?  This was some of the best comedy I have seen in a long time.  Probably ever, actually.  Absolutely Incredible.  It harkened me back to when I worked in the hole at the prison.  This is shit the "mental" inmates did to pass time in their cells.
And this man actually has patients?  Apparently not enough, cuz I know it had to be 80 degrees in there, easy.   I was sweating and it wasn't because I was a sinner bowing before a shrine to the Lord.  No, the thermostat was set a little to high.
So this was my strike #2.  or is it #3?  I'm thinking... to hell with physicians.  Anyway, Drugs are evil!  Maybe it's time for me to go all-nat-ur-al.  To Hell with this craziness... Maybe I should ditch my major and go for biology.   Call me Dr. Left.

No comments: